Are you an avid reader looking for your next "fix"? Can't bear to be without some form of reading material in your spare time? Welcome to my world! Whether you are seeking a new book to "feed your need", or you are an author seeking an unbiased point of view on your own recent masterpiece, this is the place to be. With life as with books, you never know where the next step might take you...

Thursday, September 29, 2016

A Tale in Correspondence: Griffin and Sabine by Nick Bantock

Hi guys and gals!
Welcome back to Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers.

Image result for bookshelf

Today, we're diving between the pages of THREE books from my own personal library.  They're Picture Books, but only just because they aren't meant for children, but rather the adult reading audience.  Curious?  You should be because if you were anything but, why I'm not certain you were the readers I thought you were.  (JK!)  When I happened upon them in a second hand store, the titles gave me pause.  I KNEW I had heard of them but until I picked them up for a lead through, I was failing to put two and two together.  I reached out, picked up the first volume and...remembered exactly what treasure this was the I had discovered, promptly purchased all three volumes and proceeded to read them cover to cover.  How did that adventure go?  Funny you should ask.  Ladies and gents, feast your eyes on today's books of choice...


Books 1, 2, and 3


by
Nick Bantock


This series reminds me of an adult version of The Jolly Postman (Or Other People's Letters) because that's just what this is...other people's letters, postcards, and correspondence combined with unusual works of art that as a whole tell a story of mystery, magic, intrigue, and love. 

The characters themselves present much of the mystery; after all, it's not often a psychic connection like they have is forged.  Even they are at a loss to explain it.  As time marches on, we learn more about both Griffin and Sabine, discovering their likes/dislikes, hopes and fears, strengths and weaknesses...once they get past the initial am-I-crazy-or-is-this-really-happening phase.  When they tried to reach other to each other, the curiosities only deepened, opening doors to possibilities you never considered, while still hoping that one day they would be together.

The presentation of the tale is a voyeurs pleasant dream, or a blast from childhood days; for me, it was the latter.  The simple act of turning the page and discovering what type of correspondence was waiting for me was smile inducing on its own.  Upon pulling out the "sent" item, there was great pleasure in examining the letter or postcard, both in content and artistic talent, and always something answered while leaving us with another question to ponder, thus continuing the circle of intrigue that leads us on a journey through three book's worth of near misses and unfortunate circumstance.


The Gryphon The Pharos Gate

While originally a trilogy, I am happy to report that I've now discovered a fourth AND fifth book in the series that promise to reveal just what readers were left wondering at the end of book three.  Seriously, there was a lot of head scratching, eyebrow raising, and vocalizing of the word WHAT after I finished all three titles and reached THAT ending.  Ugh!  If it had stopped then and there, I couldn't really claim any fandom for the works.  It was frustrating story wise (for now), but seriously, there is no beating the format of the book.  It's simply magical.  Looks like I'm hanging in there for the final two titles. Guess we'll see what happens...  ^-^

Be sure to check out the entire Griffin and Sabine series via Chronicle Books, available through your favorite brick and mortar stores or online options.

Until next time, remember...if it looks good, READ IT!

No comments:

Copyright © 2009-present Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
Powered by Blogger
Content by the Insatiable Reader