Are you an avid reader looking for your next "fix"? Can't bear to be without some form of reading material in your spare time? Welcome to my world! Whether you are seeking a new book to "feed your need", or you are an author seeking an unbiased point of view on your own recent masterpiece, this is the place to be. With life as with books, you never know where the next step might take you...

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Even unicorns aren't ALL sunshine and roses...

Hi there!
Welcome back to the late night Saturday edition of Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers...the place to be whenever you're in the mood for a bookish break in your day.  

Today's selection is a bit off kilter for us here in the site, but its choice for today's post is no accident.  Saturday night is a typical night for most to let loose, relax and toss cares away like so much trash in a recycling bin.  For some, that means a weekend book marathon; for others, it means a night out with the guys and/or gals.  No harm in either case so long as discretion is used (yes, even book worms need to recognize a stopping point....don't look at me like that!  You know it's true!)...and unfortunately, this poor fella didn't have that someone or something to tell him when enough was enough.  Without further adieu, today's book of choice is....



by
C.W. Moss

Yes.   You read that right.  No, I'm not condoning his actions and I'm certainly not suggesting that unicorns in general are alcoholics or something (they were one of my FAVORITE mythical creatures as a kid!), I'm simply bringing you a "humorous" look at the life of one particular unicorn that never quite saw past his horn.  

Now, I use the word "humorous" twice in quotes for a reason.  Why?  Well, the humor employed may not be up to every one's standards, even adults.  *raises hand*  Yep, that's right.  Though plenty of answers to the title question, I myself found most less than humorous...in fact, some were simply confusing.  I'm not certain if you have to be inebriated to a certain level or merely have a darker sense of humor, but it just didn't do it for me for the most part.  A few of the scenes were on the line of offensive while a time or two, I not only didn't find myself laughing, but feeling sorry for the unicorn in question.  Such was the case with the two page spread shown here.




In the end, while I kept turning pages to catch a glimpse at the next "creative" situation this unicorn would be placed in, I couldn't see the unicorn for the bottles before him.  His drinking antics and bursts of anger blocked my few of the sparkly rainbow poo-ing creature I was seeking and alas, put as much a damper on my overall enjoyment as the beer goggles he consistently wears throughout his life.  The illustrations will both quirk your eyebrows and boggle the mind as you make your way through this picture book geared towards the adult reader...just try not to lose an eye for its doubtful a designated driver could be found among this text.

Review copy received courtesy of Joel at HarperCollins Publishers.  (THANKS!)  For more information on this title as well as their full catalog, be sure to stop by their site, like them on Facebook, or follow along on Twitter.  This title is available now via iT! Books so be on the lookout for it on a bookstore shelf near you.  To discover more of the world that this unicorn inhabits, be sure to stop by www.MisterUnicorn.com.

Until next time...happy reading!



2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds kinda sad. But yah I could see it being meant for a certain audience (i.e. mama and papas that love hooch).

Great honest review.

Jessica N. said...

Great review! Poor unicorn. I'm not sure this book is for me, but it might be a good gift for some people I know later on :).

Copyright © 2009-present Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
Powered by Blogger
Content by the Insatiable Reader