Are you an avid reader looking for your next "fix"? Can't bear to be without some form of reading material in your spare time? Welcome to my world! Whether you are seeking a new book to "feed your need", or you are an author seeking an unbiased point of view on your own recent masterpiece, this is the place to be. With life as with books, you never know where the next step might take you...

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Thursday Next, Book 1: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a series I fully intended to check out once upon a time. I even procured the whole set (past tense, thank you Hurricane Michael *grr*) because what I read about it sounded so odd, so interesting, so different that I couldn't fathom reading JUST ONE. Upon picking up a copy at a local bookstore, I decided to give it a try in the here-and-now...and I'm sorta glad I stuck with just the first title for now.

It's not that it wasn't good because it was. It's not that I didn't enjoy it because I did. It's not that it's wordy, a tad lengthy, or even that the lead character's name is a day...because really, how can you not like something because of a name? It's more because of the intense world building and the frame of mind I had to be in in order to fully enjoy the story. I mean really, it's not just a detective novel. You've got characters leaping from books, evil villains whom you can't fathom the depths of their evilness, vampires, time travel, worm holes, stolen works of literary wonder, work drama, relationship drama, and a few too many Twains...just to name a few. I'm telling you, it's actually rather heady, and while for a moment, just a moment, it started to lose me along the way, it wasn't long before I was scooped right back into the swing of things and riding shotgun with Thursday and her new partner to save the day.

So, was it good? Yes...but it's not just for Literary Fiction fans. You've got to have a taste for something a little more out there, a little more fantasy, a little more like you took a novel from various genres, ground them in a blender, and served it chilled to an unsuspecting customer. It's a mix to be sure, but one I'm glad I tried, and I wouldn't be surprised if some day in the future you see me exploring the next installment....though what she could possibly go through next that would be surprising is beyond me!


**personal library selection

View all my reviews

No comments:

Copyright © 2009-present Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
Powered by Blogger
Content by the Insatiable Reader