Are you an avid reader looking for your next "fix"? Can't bear to be without some form of reading material in your spare time? Welcome to my world! Whether you are seeking a new book to "feed your need", or you are an author seeking an unbiased point of view on your own recent masterpiece, this is the place to be. With life as with books, you never know where the next step might take you...

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Writing On the Wall....Spooktacular Edition

(Please note as this is t
otally an opinion piece...as usual.  Just my thoughts on a subject of my choosing that I thought may be of interest to you.  No offense is meant to anyone.  ^_^)

Hi there, insatiable readers!
Welcome back to another day another post during the spooktacular month of October.  Speaking of 'spooktacular', today's post is going to focus on something scary....something horrifying...something you may need to avert your eyes from the screen and let someone else read to you!  The topic for today....

GUARANTEED READS


~ Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ~
Just kidding, but it is scary in a way don't you think?

Have you seen these words lurking on the covers of some of your favorite or even not-yet-favorite books as of late?  I know I have and it down right gave me the shivers! 

It’s not that I don’t like getting my money’s worth out of my purchases even when it comes to books, but really…guaranteeing I’ll like it or my money back?  I don’t know…for me, it doesn’t make me want to read the book any more than another…it might actually make me wary that they felt the need to offer that option in the first place.  If I didn’t like the book, I probably wouldn’t even follow through on the guarantee…it just seems wrong somehow.  I mean really, how can you “guarantee” someone will like it? 


Truth is, you can’t…but with this new option, it’s giving those readers that fall into the category of “reluctant” a chance to step away from what they initially thought held potential without giving it a proper chance.  Think back to the books you’ve read.  Go ahead; I’ll wait… ~Jeopardy music plays~ …still thinking?  Okay, well just go back through the last few months if you’re an avid reader like me, otherwise, you may have to put that theme song on repeat for a bit. 


So, now that you have a glimpse of your past reads in mind, tell me this…did you ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE?  Be honest!  If I had to wager, my guess is your answer was no (unless you are fibbing and then I can't help you there)....but you know what, that's okay.  You're probably even better for it since you gave something a chance to shine beyond whatever sparkle drew you to it.  There's nary a reader that completely regrets reading a book in the first place; after all, no one made you pick it up...it was your choice....and sometimes books can surprise you.



So what do you say fellow readers?
What is YOUR take on this 'guaranteed read' phenomenon?
The comments are open...let's hear what YOU have to say!


Until next time...happy reading!




6 comments:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I'm honestly too lazy to bring anything back...seriously. BUT I don't like to shop so if I buy you, I'm probably going to keep you. As far as guaranteed reads, well...I go for my gut when I pick...I take the responsibility and if I didn't like you, that's cool. If i do, well, then that's cool too!

And now for the musical choice of the day....!

"Memories...all alone in the moonlight....not a trace of the old days....I was beautiful thennnnnnn...."
CATS (i saw this one at a local dinner theater...cheesarific it was!)

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

Maybe it's just me but I have not seen this on any books yet.

Gina said...

Michelle: LOL! Well, I did say to be honest... ^_^ Agreed on the "like you" or "not like you" part...at least I gave it a shot! Great choice on the musical! Haven't seen that one actually...but of course I've heard of it (who hasn't?)...now what will my pick be.. *ponders*

Cleverly Inked: Really? Wow...I've seen it in several genres throughout our local store....

Teresa said...

I haven't seen this either.

I would certainly by lying if I told you that I loved every book that I've read. If I don't love it, I take it to the used bookstore for some credit towards something else.

I don't think that I'm the target for this type of promotion...

Tales of Whimsy said...

Wow. The sick frugalista I am, I sort of like this guarantee ;)

I bet it's allot easier to do with eBooks.

The1stdaughter said...

What an odd thing to slap on a book! Weird. I can't imagine walking up to the desk, *head cowering*, "umm, can I get my money back? It was just an okay read." Probably not going to happen.

Yes, in an ideal world we'd like every book we pay for, but we don't like every person. How could we like every book? Strange policy.

Copyright © 2009-present Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
Powered by Blogger
Content by the Insatiable Reader