Are you an avid reader looking for your next "fix"? Can't bear to be without some form of reading material in your spare time? Welcome to my world! Whether you are seeking a new book to "feed your need", or you are an author seeking an unbiased point of view on your own recent masterpiece, this is the place to be. With life as with books, you never know where the next step might take you...

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Time for a bookish declaration....

Why hello there!
Nice to see you again (or for the first time should this be your first visit…^_^).  So, how has week one of 2012 been treating you?  Good I hope.  If not, no worries…I hear ya and totally sympathize, but it’s too early to get on the “this-year-sucks” bandwagon just yet; give it some time (I know I’ll be).


So far this week, we’ve welcomed the new year, took a trip to Europe (literarily speaking), sampled a bookish tease or two, and discovered that the cutesy woodland creatures may not all be as nice on the inside as they are on the outside.  Basically a whole lot of bookish fun…and there’s plenty more where that came from.  Today’s post was an impromptu one inspired by another blogger who was inspired by a librarian who was inspired by…well, probably their love of reading, but I think you get the point…the circle of influence is HUGE and I plan on spreading it even more. 

The post that inspired me I found through one of my Twitter friends (@roses7184 … I’m talking about you!  ^_^).  The site:  Hopelessly Devoted Bibliophile….catchy name, right?  It’s a lovely book blog that you really should check out when you have a moment (and follow, like, etc, etc)…and while today’s post was a fond remembrance to her, it was bright-shiny-new to me.  It’s a little something called the….



Pretty nifty, huh?
I thought so.
Now it’s fine and dandy to post this little beauty but again taking my cue from HDB, I’m digging into our rights a little closer….for personality sake.  ^_^  Here we go….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



1.  to read anything at any time
…and this is one I LIVE by!  No seriously.  With the limited time I have, and the voracious reading appetite I also claim as my own, reading time is at a premium.  That;s why I always carry 1-2 books, my eReader, and my phone (with nifty reading app) with me at all times.  Which leads me to the next “right”…

2.  to read anywhere in any position
I don’t generally stand on my head or anything, so position wise it’s usually with my feet up or neatly tucked under me….but it is all about LOCATION.  Again, time is a premium and there are SO MANY missed opportunities to read out there!  Such as…waiting for my work PC dino to load a page, waiting for a doctor appointment, waiting to pick someone up, waiting for a movie to start…and even waiting in line at the grocery store (with the occasional read as I shop move too…multi-tasking is my middle name).  All prime windows of time PERFECT for just a few pages more.

3.  to read without intrusion
Oh brother…can I PLEASE blow this one up and post it at job 2?  No seriously…if I’m on break with a book in one hand and eating my lunch with the other, making sounds of amazement about something you are unpacking or reading over just to draw my attention…so not cool.  Dude…I’m reading!  Leavez me alone…unless you want to discuss the book…  ^_^


4.  to move your lips while you read
So I’m probably guilty of this on occasion but more often I run into trouble with a smile or laugh inducing scene.  I can’t help but let my reaction show which can lead to some fairly odd looks of concern from your fellow coworkers….


5.  to read as slowly as you like
I do this on occasion, but it’s harder when you have a fairly active blog.  The last one I TRULY took my time with…literally savored it over a month or two was my ARC of MATCHED by Ally Condie. 


6.  to read several books at one time
This describes me to a T!  It’s not just about accomplishing more reading because really, you can’t read any more pages with two titles running than one but it does serve the fickle side of my personality.  One never knows what you’ll be in the mood for and as variety is the spice of life, I like to keep my options open.


7.  to underline favorite passages
Okay…so I DON’T do this one, but I have been known to make use of my semi-extensive sticky note collection to mark a page and write on the note what part I was taken by.  My books = my precious (ß say that with a Gollum accent and you’ll understand…)


8.  to ignore literary critics
To be honest, I read what they say (as well as other bloggers), but it is not the determining factor as to whether I read a book or not.  For example, I’m probably one of the only people left on the planet not taken in by The Hunger Games craze.  *ducks flying objects*  I’m not dissing the series…I haven’t even read it at this point (though I did purchase book 1 a few weeks back), but I am saying that when I read about it even in light of the hoopla, I wasn’t taken in by it.  Every book, every series hits readers differently, that’s why there is SO much room for SO many different books.  No two experiences will be exactly the same just as the interest level between two people in the same title will vary.  Will I eventually fall in love with the series and join the masses?  Who knows?  But right now, I’m cool with being the “outcast” so to speak….


9.  to skip pages or chapters
Um, no…while I respect the right to do this…I don’t skip chapters.  The closest I come to this is skimming.  I will certainly skim if a book is dragging its feet and I need to move it along to the “good stuff”…but it’s rare and only for small bouts.


10.  to read the last chapter first
…and yet another one I don’t do.  I do have the bad habit (hey, at least I recognize it!) of turning to see how many pages a book has and accidentally catching a glimpse of a few words on the final page.  It may not seem like much but it can cause issues!  It gets your mind working on how the story could possibly turn to fit the ending you saw and can take away from the reading experience.  Now when I turn to that final page, I pretty much cover by eyes and leave just a smidge of space to peek at the numbers…

11.  to stop reading in the middle
Admittedly, I’ve done this before….but I always end of going back to it.  The book:  The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman.  I was not enthralled when I was reading the first of this series; in fact I was getting a bit bored actually.  Too much technical mumbo jumbo or religious discussion and I lose focus.  I put it down, came back to it while on a trip a few months down the line and TADA…I was back in the game (and luckily the story picks up later on too!).  Sometimes a break is necessary and then other times….


12.  to read a book over and over again
…you just want to say “AGAIN!  AGAIN!” like a child riding the merry-go-round at the fair.  I am a fan of rereading but I can’t say I get to do it too often as of late (not complaining of course, just simply stating a reality).  The books I’ve reread most would be the Harry Potter series books 1-4 (I kept rereading the preceding books in the series just before the next would release…until it took me a year form the date of release to read book 5!), The Forbidden Game series by L.J. Smith (maybe 3 times?)….and then this one children’s book at Christmas called Ted E. Bear Finds Christmas (SUCH a cute story if you can find it!).



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


So, there you have it.  The Reader’s Bill of Rights done Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers style…have you heard of this bookish declaration before?  Which ones do you personally do?  Anything you would add if you could?  Feel free to share your thoughts and comments…and of course to create your own post and pass the bookish love along.

Until next time…FIGHT for your RIGHT to …READ!  ^_^
(…and of course, happy reading!)


The Reader’s Bill of Rights

13 comments:

Jessica N. said...

Woohoo and it moves on! :D I love this thing!

Also totally with you on the lunch break reading. See this book in my hand? It's taking up my attention. I'm not paying attention to you! LOL.

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

What a cool post! I definitely agree with the "read anywhere in any position" one. Although I mostly read in the same chair while I'm at home, I have to issue with reading no matter where I am (within reason, of course)!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Such a fun post. Thanks for sharing it :)

When I have to skip pages or chapters, it definitely reflects on the review.

Melanie said...

I can't seem to completely drop a book either. I'm always afraid it'll get better the page after I quit.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

This is awesome sauce!! I wish to not be interrupted. I do not re read and i'm really wanting to read Matched by Ally Condie now. I have it. I should start it huh?

DMS said...

Love this! I like to do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, and 12. I don't like to skip whole chapters- skimming is fine. I also carry books with me everywhere- I even have books tucked away in my car- just in case! What a great post! Thanks for sharing and happy reading!

~Jess
http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

Alexia561 said...

Haven't seen this before, but I love it! Couldn't agree more with you about being disturbed while I'm reading at lunch. Hello? I'm ignoring you so I can read my book, so don't you dare sit down at my table! *L*

And trust me, you aren't the only one who hasn't read The Hunger Games...I don't even own a copy! *ducks down behind you*

I skim and skip pages depending on the book. Get too technical or go too in detail with a love scene and I skim ahead. What can I say...I just want to know what happens next so let's skip the play by play! And while I've never read the last chapter first, I do admit to peeking at the last page sometimes!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I love your expansion on the original bill of readers rights which by the way I intend to post on my blog such is my liking of it. And whilst I'm owning up to this I also need to own up to the fact that I do not own a copy of hunger Games either.

Julie@My5monkeys said...

I love those book reading rights , and yes I look at last chapter

LoriStrongin said...

hahaha, this is all kinds of awesome! I'm with you on not skipping chapters or reading the last chapter first because I want to be surprised (hopefully!) by the ending. There have been a few I've stopped reading midway, like Eldest by Christopher Paolini and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving--no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it any more.


Smiles!
Lori

Jules said...

Lets see here.... I'm guilty of 1, 2, 3 and 6 almost religiously. I'm always reading whenever and where ever I can.

Number 7 is a huge NO. I agree with you my books are my presiousssssesssss ;)

9, 10, 11 - Never read last chapter first, and I don't think you can say you've read the book if you skip whole chapters. Skimming by I an see. If I've read to the middle I will finish it - no point of stopping if I've invested the time into it.

12 I do that all the time.

Melanie said...

Love this post! I also have the really bad habit of checking the number of pages and seeing a few words. I do that for chapters too. I NEVER underline in my books. NEVER! Well school books yes but other than that a big NO NO. The only books I've read over and over are the Harry Potter series. There's just too many books out there to read so I don't want to wast time re-reading. I never skip pages or chapters but I do skim sometimes if it's too technincal.

Gina said...

Jessica Torres: Yep..you started a craze! ^_^ Love it. Yeah, the lunch time bit...taken from experience that day.... *glares at memory of person you tried to interrupt read* (^_^)

Emidy: I think that's one all of us "read-a-holics" can agree with. ^_^

Juju: My pleasure! Of course it would Juju....you're always so thorough. ^_^

Melanie: My point exactly!

Michelle: No re-reads? Interesting stance...but I can understand with time constraints or some books. You DEFINITELY should read MATCHED. GREAT book.

Fairday Morrow: In the car? I'm so there too....there's one in the center column for back up should I forget my current read. ^_^

Alexia561: Yay! Another "rights" newbie! Glad I'm not alone. ^_^ LOL on the book partner for lunch. Hey! Don't hide BEHIND me! (^_^) *pulls you from hiding spot, positions self side by side* Here here on the "too technical"..if I want that, I'll read a non-fiction book (or manual...).

Petty Witter: Yay! *high five* So that's three of us that haven't read them.... ^_^

Julie@My5monkeys: You sneak peek-er you...lol. ^_^

LoriStrongin: Wow...so those two seriously stalled your reading THAT bad? O-O Had a friend that read the latest book (INHERITANCE) and was less than pleased with the ending...said it felt rushed.

Jules: Finally...someone who gets the reference! ^_^

Melanie: I'm there with you on the underlining....I abuse the highlighter at times in school books, but NOT in my personal reads....

Copyright © 2009-present Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
Powered by Blogger
Content by the Insatiable Reader