Welcome back to Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers...the place that's not afraid to tackle the harder issues, especially when it's in support of a great cause.
Today, we are speaking out against bullying and making our voices heard along with many others in conjunction with the BookSparksPR Speaks Out Campaign. Chances are you or someone you know has experienced some form of bullying at one point or another (hopefully you or they were not the bully-er...or at least have since mended your ways); if not...count your blessings.
With today's fast moving society, communication is no longer restricted to postal delivery schedules, or the availability of a phone. It spreads at the speed of light, the click of a mouse, the tap of a screen...for better AND for worse. This instant connection can both make or break both us as well as those our words reach. We have to be EXTRA careful about what we say and how we say, type or text because our facial expressions and tone are not there to pass on that mischievous smile that signals "we were only kidding" and perception no matter how ugly a word is all that's left. Take a stand for those that can't and be the helping hand that starts a better tomorrow for someone within your reach whether it be hand to hand...or virtual word to virtual word.
We continue our post today with a word from Ilie Ruby, author of The Salt God's Daughter...
The stories of the women who populate The Salt God’s Daughter were inspired by the confluence of real life and a Celtic myth, which I learned from a folksong my mother played on the guitar, The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry. While the myth is the map, its many roads reflect the experiences of my grandmothers, of my mother, of my friends, and of seventeen young girls I never knew but whose histories found me. My wish was to illuminate the female experience through generations–not only those times that are shrouded in shadows, but also those that are lovely and beautiful, and made indelible with light. At its heart this is a story about true love, sometimes found between mothers and daughters, in the secrets of sisters, and in the arms of the first person with whom you shared your heart. When all is said and done, this novel belongs to resolute sisters Ruthie and Dolly. They are my champions. Their journey of discovery and survival is the heart of this story.
Set in Long Beach, California, beginning in the 1970s, The Salt God’s Daughter follows three generations of extraordinary women who share something unique—something magical and untamed that makes them unmistakably different from others. Theirs is a world teeming with ancestral stories, exotic folklore, inherited memory, and meteoric myths.
In recognition of October being National Anti-Cyberbullying Awareness month, we are proud to speak out with BookSparksPR, book lovers and author Ilie Ruby against bullies.
Here's how you can speak out too!
- Post it: Post this anti-bullying badge on your blog, site or social media today along with the book cover and the note on Ilie Ruby's book The Salt God's Daughter. We understand you have other obligations/plans for your blog that day. Whatever you can do today to stand up for these 17 young women, Amanda Todd and so many other women and children who are being/have been bullied.
- Tweet it: Speak out with @BookSparksPR, book lovers and @IlieRuby today against bullies! No bullying! http://bit.ly/RCBDSZ #SpeakOut
- Facebook it: Share the badge, this campaign (http://bit.ly/RCBDSZ) and your words against bullying via Facebook and tag (BookSparksPR) so they can share too!
- Rate it: Head over to Goodreads and rate Ilie Ruby's The Salt God's Daughter. It’s a 5-star beautiful book about love, family, and surviving bullying!http://www.goodreads.com/book/
- Buy it: If you buy Ilie Ruby’s book, The Salt God’s Daughter, let BookSparksPR know and they'll match with a donation to an anti-bullying organization. On October 24th only, if you buy the book for you, a friend, a holiday gift (great for mothers, daughters, friends, book clubs, etc) or all the above, send your receipt(s) and they'll be donating up to 20% of book sales that day (based on emailed receipts) to the "I Choose" anti-bullying campaign in support of BookSparksPR Speaks Out Against Bullying and all these victims. Buy on Indie Bound; Buy on Amazon; or Buy on Barnes & Noble. Send receipts to contests@SparkPointStudio.com
Special thanks to BookSparksPR for the chance to participate in this promotion. For more information on this promotion as well as those forthcoming, be sure to visit them online, like them on Facebook, or follow along on Twitter.
Until next time....happy reading.