Are you an avid reader looking for your next "fix"? Can't bear to be without some form of reading material in your spare time? Welcome to my world! Whether you are seeking a new book to "feed your need", or you are an author seeking an unbiased point of view on your own recent masterpiece, this is the place to be. With life as with books, you never know where the next step might take you...

Saturday, February 15, 2014

For the love of....CAKES! Guest Post with Author Janis Thomas

Hi there!
Welcome back to the site that's there for you even after the big V Day happenings have passed because no one likes to come down off a chocolate high by themselves...Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers.



So, how was your Valentine's Day?
Did you have to work?
Did you get to spend it with your sweetie whomever he or she might be?
Did you get flowers, candy, dinner, etc etc?
Did you even WANT any of those things?


Hmm...
*hears crickets*
...okay, so I'm sensing some reluctance to share your happenings yesterday.  No worries!  I'll go first...


Valentine's Day for me consisted of a full day at job one, present swap with the family (including V Day cookies for the fur babies), pizza dinner, and an impromptu watching of Austenland courtesy of Redbox (which I might add was pretty good and of course we'd choose Mr. Nobley!).  Nothing crazy, a severe lack of romance, but all in all, it was filled with love so it worked out.


Now...YOUR TURN!



*allows time for commenting*
^_^



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


NOW, moving on to today's post....
Today, we're catching up with author Janis Thomas courtesy of FSB Associates, whose book I am finishing as we speak (or rather as you read this post), as she shares a perfectly timed post for not only this past holiday but, well....ANY day!  ^_^  Taken ladies will get a chuckle out of it I'm sure, while us single gals will giggle ourselves silly...and perhaps agree with a hearty fist pump in some cases!  Ready to see what all the hubbub is about?  Let's...just be prepared to have a serious craving to BAKE something when you're done. Ms. Thomas...take it away!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

















10 Reasons A Cake is Better Than a Man
By Janis Thomas,
Author of 
Sweet Nothings

Don't get me wrong. I love men. Especially my husband and Hugh Jackman. Despite the notion that men are from Mars and women are from Venus, and aside from the cold, hard truth that I often think marriage was invented by a bunch of sadists, I cannot imagine my life without Alex in it.

I could say the same thing about cake. Not that it was invented by sadists, because that would be ridiculous. Obviously, cake was invented by a glorious angelic genius bent on spreading happiness and good cheer throughout the world. But I can't imagine living without cake, either.

The other day, a friend asked me a hypothetical question which inspired this post. It went something like this:
If you had to choose between cake and men for the rest of your life, which would you pick?

My husband was seated right beside me, so I quickly answered, "Oh, I'd pick men . . . specifically my man." And I gave his arm a little squeeze. (I think he bought it, although I can't be sure.)

But the question stayed with me, and I found myself mulling it over late into the night. I actually took out a notepad and created a pros/cons list for each, cakes on one side and men on the other. In so doing, I came to the conclusion that a cake really is better than a man, and here are the ten top reasons why:
10. Extreme heat makes cake smell good.
9. There is such a thing as a perfect cake.
8. Cakes don't watch football.
7. Certain parts of a man are more attractive than others, whereas every slice of cake looks gorgeous.
6. Even bad cake is good.
5. A cake won't complain about crumbs on the counter.
4. A great chocolate cake is better than sex.
3. If you marry a cake, your in-laws are butter and sugar.
2. Cakes don't expect you to pick up their dirty underwear.

And the number one reason why a cake is better than a man is:
1. You don't have to talk dirty to a cake to get it to rise.

I'm not saying that men don't have good qualities too. They do. Men have the capacity for compassion and understanding, whereas cakes don't have feelings. A man is more likely to discover a cure for hair loss than a cake. When you feel sad or upset, your husband will put his arms around you and comfort you, whereas a cake pretty much just sits there. And you certainly can't ask a cake to take out the garbage.

But, I have to admit, when I'm consuming a luscious red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and shaved dark chocolate curls decorating the top, the last thing on my mind is the overflowing trash bin.

© 2013 Janis Thomas, author of Sweet Nothings


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - 





Author Bio

Janis Thomas, author of Sweet Nothings, is a native Californian, lives in Orange County with her husband, their two children, and their dog, Ruby. Janis has written more than fifty songs and (with her dad) two children's books, and is also an avid baker. She is also the author of Something New.


For more information please visit http://www.janisthomas.com, and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Special thanks to Leyane at FSB Associates for the chance to share this post with all of you!  (THANKS!)  For more information on this promotion as well as those forthcoming, be sure to check them out online.

Be sure to check back in the coming days as my review of Sweet Nothings goes LIVE!



Until next time...HAPPY BAKING...and happy reading!



3 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Yes! My husband and Hugh too!

10 and 3 on that list crack me up!!! :D

Your V-day sounds awesome. You're surrounded by love. Mine was great. We snuggled, exchanged gifts (flowers and essential oils for me), and then went to bed. Simple but nice.
Thanks for asking.

Tales of Whimsy said...

PS Cute cover!

DMS said...

This is hilarious and Janis brought up some great points! I especially like the one about the heat. :) Wishing her the best of luck!
~Jess

Copyright © 2009-present Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
Powered by Blogger
Content by the Insatiable Reader