Are you an avid reader looking for your next "fix"? Can't bear to be without some form of reading material in your spare time? Welcome to my world! Whether you are seeking a new book to "feed your need", or you are an author seeking an unbiased point of view on your own recent masterpiece, this is the place to be. With life as with books, you never know where the next step might take you...

Friday, August 28, 2020

RRR presents... RAVEN STORM by Emma Miles - EXCERPT!

Hi there!
Welcome back to Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers.


Today, we're shining the BOOK SPOTLIGHT on a title touring now with Rachel's Random Resources.  From the sound of things, they'll be magic, bonds tested, trials trudged through, and all supposedly for the greater good.  But CAN peace prevail amid all the darkness and secrets?  Good question!  Feast your peepers on today's title in the spotlight...


Raven Storm
by
Emma Miles

About the book...
Fear walks with those in power.

Divided, the land of Chem hangs in the balance. In the west the Ravens seek to bring safety to women, and an end to slavery. In the east the remaining covens cling to their power, refusing to give up their way of life to foreign invaders. Across both lands the priests whisper and plot, their gods a shadowy threat hanging over them all.

To protect their young family, Kesta and Jorrun have made their home in the Raven Tower of Elden. Unable to abandon their responsibility or friends, they remain embroiled in the fight to the north. Whilst peace and friendship blossom between the Fulmers, Borrows and Elden, the arrival of strangers turns the court of Taurmaline upside down. 

The history of the Fire-walkers is about to catch up with them, and the Fire-spirit’s truth will be revealed.



AMAZON  US  |  UK


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~   EXCERPT   ~~~
Raven Storm by Emma Miles

In this extract two of our main characters, Kesta and Jorrun, return together to the land they helped to conquer for the first time in several years.


The Borrow Islands were still sparsely populated, the decimation of the Islands by the Chemmish necromancers would take a long time to recover from. As they passed between the ragged, dark cliffs, Kesta was surprised and relieved to see a new settlement. One woman paused, slowly raising a hand in greeting. Kesta raised her own hand, calling fire to dance across her fingertips to let the woman know who, and what, she was.

‘Do you need anything?’ Kesta yelled, not sure if her voice would carry to shore.

The woman shook her head, but placed her hand over her heart in a simple blessing.

Kesta’s own heart clenched and for a moment emotion overwhelmed her. Peace between the Fulmers and Borrows was another miracle.

‘Did you want to stop off at Nisten Island?’

Kesta jumped, clutching at her shirt as she turned to growl at Jorrun. Even though he no longer had his mother’s amulet that had protected him from her knowing, he could still sneak up on her, and delighted in doing so. She narrowed her eyes at him and he watched her hands, waiting for her to give him a shove or a dead arm.

‘No, it will take us out of our way and my mother mentioned recently Matriarch Grya is doing well.’

Jorrun turned his gaze to the closest shore. ‘Do you feel any remnants of the blood curse?’

Kesta shuddered. ‘Thankfully, no.’

He touched her cheek, then wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug. ‘It will be all right, this time.’

‘It better be.’ Kesta scowled. ‘I’m sick of having to rescue you.’

He pulled away, looking down at her with the most affronted expression he could muster, but it didn’t last long against Kesta’s mischievous grin.

He squeezed her arm. ‘Come on, last leg.’

Kesta got some fitful sleep while Jorrun sailed them through the night. In the early hours Kesta took over, and she watched the sun rise over the sea, turning the sky red. She woke Jorrun when the dark shadow of Chem appeared on the horizon and they silently steered for the harbour city of Navere, Jorrun’s birthplace and the people Jorrun’s brother, Osun, had died to protect.

Kesta’s breath caught in her throat.

A plume of black smoke billowed up from the heart of the walled city.

Navere was on fire. 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


About author Emma Miles...


I often get asked when I knew I was a writer; the answer is always. A writer is what I am, it's in my soul. There have been times in my life when I couldn't write, and times when my writing has been the only thing that kept me going. I think I always longed for something deeper from life, something more meaningful, and I found it in my imagination and in the music of words.

It was poetry which first caught my attention, and whilst my younger cousins called for ghost stories it was animals I first wrote of. I think I gravitated toward fantasy because of the freedom it gives, I could create my own worlds and decide my own rules. My Wind's Children trilogy was born from an image that came to me whilst daydreaming, of a young man sitting alone below a bridge. I didn't know who he was; it turns out neither did he, but we found out together.

I'm now working on my seventh book and love writing more than ever, it's an addiction, an obsession, but one I now share with my wonderful writing family. My beta readers, my editor, and you, my readers, having you with me on my journey means the world to me.

I write as much as I can around work, but I also try to squeeze in a ridiculous amount of hobbies! I'm a wildlife photographer and do a little archery. I paint, sculpt with clay, withies and driftwood, preferring to be outdoors if I can. I still have a love for the theatre, having started out in life studying backstage crafts, and a great love for language. I speak a little French, Romanian and Italian, ma non molto bene!

Thanks for reading this. If you read any of my books and love them, please come say hello and tell me, you'd be surprised at how much that means to an author.
Take care of yourself.
Em x



AMAZON  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Special thanks to Rachel at Rachel's Random Resources for the chance to bring this tour to you. (THANKS!) For more information on this title, the author, this promotion, or those on the horizon, feel free to click through the links provided above. Be sure to check out the rest of tour for more bookish fun!



Until next time, remember...if it looks good, READ IT!


2 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Definitely one I'll be keeping a look out for, this sounds like my kind of read.

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

I enjoyed the excerpt Gina. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Copyright © 2009-present Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
Powered by Blogger
Content by the Insatiable Reader