About the book...
Chloe Peterson is having a bad night. A really bad night. The large bruise on her cheek can attest to that. When her car skids off the side of a wet country road and into a ditch, she’s convinced even the gorgeous guy who rescues her in the middle of the rain storm must be too good to be true. Or is he?
A successful photographer who frequently travels around the world, Chase Sullivan has his pick of beautiful women. Chase thinks his life is great just as it is—until the night he finds Chloe and her totaled car on the side of the road in Napa Valley. Not only has Chase never met anyone so lovely, both inside and out, he realizes Chloe has much bigger problems than her damaged car. Soon, Chase is willing to move mountains to love—and protect—her, but will she let him?
Chloe vows never to make the mistake of trusting a man again. Only she can’t help but wonder if she’s met the only exception with every loving look Chase gives her, the attraction between them sparks and sizzles.
Chase didn’t realize his life was going to change forever in an instant, and he isn’t the least bit interested in fighting that change. Instead, he’s gearing up for a different fight altogether—for Chloe’s heart.
Okay, first things first.....you read the description, right? Sounds sweet with a possibility of romance, right? Well my final thoughts are a bit of a split...and no, let's not talk about the ice cream variety here because it hits too close to home. *ahem* Let me break this thing down for you...
1. I thoroughly enjoyed the actual STORY. For the most part, the situations were realistic, scarily so a time or two, but it put you right there in the moment nonetheless.
2. The emotions ran high and were VERY palpable making you connect to the characters rather easily despite your background or lack thereof. If they were scared, YOU were scared. If they were anxious, YOU were anxious. If they were....well, you get the picture. Nice job here indeed.
3. The characters were very REAL. You liked and loathed the appropriate choices. Heck, you'd probably want to meet the ENTIRE Sullivan gang (I know I do) in person and walking away with their friendship let alone a love match would be a dream come true from what we've seen of them so far. Chase is...well, pretty darn perfect. Yep. I mean I'm sure he has a flaw or two but from where I'm reading, he's got things down pat. (Anyone know a guy like that whose available? ^-^)
1. One too many rolls in the hay. Wait. Scratch that....WAY more than one. By the halfway point of the book, I lost track of how many places, ways, and times a "connection" was made. For me, the story would have held together with simply SOME sensuality...we didn't need all the dairy cows AND the farmland too.
2. You know those emotions I mentioned as a pro? Well, they had their con moments too which lends to the caution I preceded my review with. NOT for the kiddos....I repeat, NOT.
3. As much as I loved the characters and the families and back stories created for them, Chloe could frustrate at times with her "to-go-there-or-not-to-go-there" decisions wavering constantly, not to mention that some of her decisions didn't seem realistic for the amount of grieve she suffered. Could be an individual thing, but it irked me a smidge.
In the end, do I regret reading it? No. The writing style was a bit simplistic at times but I really did enjoy getting to know the cast of characters and especially Chase and Chloe. Word to the wise though...if you are prone to blushing, I might suggest you not read this one in a crowded room. Yeah...definitely blush worthy and then some moments. *ahem* Recommended read for adult readers that actively choose the "true romance fan" label as their own.
ARC for review courtesy of Liz at Meryl L. Moss Media Relations, Inc. (THANKS!) For more information on this title as well as their other promotions, be sure to check out their official site, visit them over on BookTrib or follow along on Twitter. This title was first released in print format just this month via Harlequin MIRA and should be available on a bookstore shelf near you. Like what you've read? Craving another bout with the Sullivans? No doubt, no doubt. Be sure to check out book 2, From This Moment On, and book 3, Can't Help Falling in Love, out this July and August consecutively....and who knows, their may be a blog tour stopping by for BOTH titles in my sites future. (*checks calendar* ... yep, sure is!)
Until next time...happy reading!